Thursday 15 March 2007

What's in a name?

Am, at present, "moving house" in real life. Packing into cardboard boxes the collected detritus of memories, the flotsam washed in on the waves from a lifetime of experience.

Do I need it all .. that is the question. What book, what piece of paper, what letter from a lover long ago, what picture in a frame. Furniture and fripperies, small statues holding within them the memories of special people and events.

For how much are we held in bondage to the past?

5 comments:

Vincent said...

I think it is worth keeping all the stuff, for the memories. That doesn't keep us in bondage to the past necessarily, it gives us perspective and gratitude that we have moved forward from then.

If we look back with longing on the old times, in bondage to our sense that they were better than now, then we better do something about now, to make it better than then!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your above comment. With respect to your question:

"For how much are we held in bondage to the past?"

Far too much, typically.

Kathy Trejo said...

What's in a name? i like that.

Happy travels and best wishes.

Kathy Trejo said...

travel light is best. well, it works for me. :)

Ann ODyne said...

A: for as long as we can tote the stuff around.
I used to be a slave to my possessions, but the past year I have slept in many many different places and lived out of one bag.
I'm coping with it.

ref: Maslow's Hierarchy Of Needs.

Merry Christmas

(I came across you at Davo's: Wombat's Waffles)